Thursday, October 13, 2011

Flashback Friday: The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

It's Friday again so it's time for me to review an older book instead of all the new releases I keep getting to review. True, Heidi sometimes reviews older books but I want a chance to as well. :) So, today I'm going to review The Goose Girl which was originally published in 2003.  I was out of high school for two years. ;)
Genre: YA- Fantasy

Review: Ani is the crowned princess and is swept off to marry a prince in another kingdom. Her lady in waiting pulls a trick and switches places with Ani and Ani is forced to be a servant to the King of this new kingdom where she knows no one. Fortunately, she has a few tricks of her own. All her life she had a special gift -- the ability to speak to animals. She has to use her own skills to find a way to get back what is properly hers.

This is a retelling of a classic fairy tale and I must admit, I love fairy tales. The Grimm version of "The Goose Girl" is quite graphic. This one is a lot better. It's the first book in the Bayern series and it's the only one I've read, unfortunately. It was a tale that Hale did a great job in bringing it to life and cause me, as the reader, to continually turn the page... after page... after page. I actually took this one on vacation with me and ignored everything else just so I could read it! Loved it

Author: Shannon Hale was born Salt Lake City, UT in '74 where she still lives with her husband and four small children. She has written six young adult books, two adult books, and has a new adult novel coming out in 2012. She also co-authored two graphic novels. I have read four of her novels (3 YA and 1 adult) and have loved every single one of them.

Rating: **** Four Stars

2 comments:

Rachel Brooks said...

I'm a big fan of fairy tales too. I love it when a retelling is as good, if not better, than the original!

I’m a new follower :)
http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

Adelina Priddis said...

I love this book! I need to read it again :)