Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Daughters in My Kingdom: The History and Work of Relief Society.

Genre: Non-Fiction/Historical/LDS

Review:  "Verily I say unto you, all those who receive my gospel are sons and daughters in my kingdom." Doctrine and Covenants 25:1

When I first started reading this I expected it to be very dry and to tell me the things that I already know about church history. I wasn't really expecting to get anything from it but it was a free book so I decided to read it. What an amazing book this is. I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it again.

It is about the history of Relief Society. For those of you who are not LDS (members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - often referred to as Mormons), the Relief Society is the women in the church. This book tells how the Relief Society started and what they did. It talks about how the women of the Church brought relief to others in need and how they adapted what they did to fit the needs of the times and the people. What an amazing history the Relief Society has!


What did I learned personally from this? First off, I started being "just" a stay at home mom in Jan 2010. I felt that I wasn't bringing anything to the family or to our home. I wasn't bringing money in. In fact, I am generally the one who spends it -- on groceries and such but it's still me. As I read this, it became clear to me that there are so many more things to a home then just bringing in the money. My husband brings in the money and then he presides or fills any needs that are there. I make this house a home. I teach my children. I serve my family daily. I am so grateful for FINALLY learning that and what a humbling, wonderful experience it has been. This is truly an amazing book and I encourage everyone to read it! :)

You can download a PDF version of the book from here and get a bunch of information on it.

Here's a video from Sister Beck, the current General Relief Society President.


Rating: ***** Five Stars -- duh! :)

1 comment:

chickangell said...

Nice review! Glad it wasn't boring!
You do provide so much for your family and you shouldn't feel bad about that as long as it fulfills you!